Now that you have collected the pieces of information you need to setup an Amazon Seller Account you are ready to move onto Step 1. (If you haven't collected these pieces or don't know what I'm talking about, head over to Part 1 of this series.)
Step 1: Head over HERE. Make sure you open the link in another tab or window so that you can still access this step-by-step post as you are going through the signup process.
Step 2: You have a choice to make at this point – Sell as a Professional or Individual. Let's look at the differences between the two options and discuss what would make sense for your business moving forward.
Professional vs Individual Selling Account
Sell as a Professional:
- Unlimited sales for $39.99 a month + other selling fees (1st month subscription is free)
- Customize your shipping rates for Merchant Fulfilled (MF) products other than media items (books, DVDs, etc). This is true if you are setting up a new account. If you have an account that you previously sold on or setup a long time ago then you may not have this option. I don’t have the option to set my shipping charges for MF items.
- Collect sales tax
- Can have access to gated categories (grocery, beauty, health & personal care, etc) through an approval process. For more information check out Amazon for open categories and gated categories.
Sell as an Individual:
- $0.99 per sale + other selling fees (instead of a monthly subscription)
- Don’t have the ability to customize shipping rates or MF items
- Don’t have the ability to collect sales tax
NOTE: You can upgrade/downgrade at anytime.
Many potential Amazon sellers get stuck at this point. Which option makes the most sense? If you are stumped ask yourself this question – “What do I want to get out of selling on Amazon?”
Answer: Sell new items found around the house, at yard sales and thrift stores and you'll be selling less than 40 items per month
Recommendation: An individual account might be perfect for you to start.
Answer: Searching for continued business growth and are looking at Amazon as a stepping stone
Recommendation: Start with a Professional account. Paying the $39.99 a month is also motivation to ramp up your Amazon inventory quickly so that you are getting the financial benefits of not paying the $.99 per sale.
I hope that helped you tackle the first part, and probably the most difficult part, of signing up to sell on Amazon. Now click go back HERE and click on the big yellow button based on your decision to start your Amazon selling journey as either an Individual or Professional seller. If you have any questions or comments be sure to post them below.
Now you are ready to head over to Part 3 of this series.
What are you doing today to move your business forward?